How do I tell a story?
Excerpt from Self-Selected Pleasure Reading and Story Listening
for Foreign Language Classrooms by Beniko Mason, 2014. Full text here.
Preparation for story-listening class:
1) The teacher decides which story to tell.
2) The teacher decides which words to introduce.'
The classroom procedure:
1) The teacher tells the story.
2) The teacher draws pictures on the board to make the story more comprehensible. The teacher writes the words on the board to let the students know that he/she is using the words to tell the story.
3) The teacher asks the students to write a summary of the story in their native language. The teacher can evaluate her/his lesson that day by reading the summary of the story they write.”